Skip to content
There is no charge for the Online Sean Mac Diarmada Summer School 2021. Registration is required for both Friday evening and Saturday daytime events.
Friday June 4th
- 7pm – 9.30pm
- Official Opening of the Summer School by Prof John Crown.
- Address by Ambassador Adrian O’Neill, Ambassador of Ireland to the United Kingdom and welcome from the Cathaoirleach of Leitrim County Council
- Prin Duignan SEÁN MACDIARMADA: HIS FRIENDSHIPS AND CAPACITY TO INSPIRE.
- Sinead Guckian SELTON HILL MARCH 1921 – WHEN ACTIVE SERVICE IN YOUR COMMUNITY REQUIRED VERY DIFFERENT SACRIFICES
- Frank White THE RISE AND FALL OF THE IRISH NATION
Saturday 5th June
- 10.15am – 5.15pm
- Bertie Ahern HOW THE PERIOD 1919 – 1921 SHAPED THE NEXT 100 YEARS
- Sen. Michael McDowell A JUSTIFIED STRUGGLE
- Jack Ryan (NUIG) YOUTH PERSPECTIVE ON THE WAR OF INDEPENDENCE AND ITS LEGACY
- Dr Sinead McCoole (Orla Parkinson Memorial Lecture) WOMEN’S ROLE IN THE WAR OF INDEPENDENCE
- Ronan McGreevy THE MIRACLE OF IRISH INDEPENDENCE – WHY FREEDOM WAS NEVER INEVITABLE
- Professor John Crown (Keynote Speaker) BUILDING AN ISLAND OF SAINTS, SCHOLARS AND SCIENTISTS